Monday, January 5, 2009

It may be a New Year for you...

It's a brand new year. Not brand spanking new, no, but new enough. As a young person with so much time on her side and potential to take advantage of, you would think that my first new entry would be filled with hope. My head space isn't quite there right now, though. There are a few things that have happened recently and things are closing in that have robbed me of that. My next birthday is coming in quickly and to be perfectly frank: I'm not excited. Not at all. I'll be another year older and I don't have much to show for it. Not only do I have nothing planned for the big day (except that I have to be in school as usual), but memories of birthdays passed only haunt me. This all sounds quite melodramatic, I know, but there isn't any other way to describe it. I'm trying to keep things as close to the truth as they can possibly get. And just so we're quite clear about something: I tell the truth. I always tell the truth. The thing is, I get frustrated when people lie because to me this expresses a lack of faith in the other person. It says "I don't think that you can understand what the facts are and I don't believe you are able to handle it". My belief is that only someone who is extremely thick-headed would be foolish enough to believe they know what is good for someone else. Especially when it comes to the truth. With that in mind, I try to give to others this thing that I ask in return: Don't worry about hurting my feelings with the truth. I'd rather feel hurt than stupid.

Nineteen days and counting...

2 comments:

Duchess C said...

Do you really feel that way about being told the truth? Because sometimes, loved ones may withhold the truth because the perception of the chaos and destruction the truth can unleash may be far more devastating than can even be anticipated.

MoreThanWordsmith said...

Yes, I really do feel that way about the truth. However, there may be some things I don't want to know. For example, specific details about my parents splitting up. I don't want to know that. I don't care. It's irrelevant to me. The point is, I'd like to be told the truth about present events, i.e. "I don't want to come to your house for dinner because I don't like your cat" is far better than "I'm sorry, I can't make it to dinner because I've got food poisoning." Do you see what I'm getting at?