Monday, June 2, 2008

I Want My MTV



Last night I had nothing better to do than to watch the MTV Movie Awards. I think I might've been much better off reading a book (or working on my own) than sitting through that, but it was very much like watching a train wreck. The winners of these awards were bogus. A few of them were for movies that I think should've gone straight to DVD. I'm really surprised at the whole evening. The highlight of the night was watching Coldplay perform their new single "Viva La Vida", but that's not really fair for me to single it out because I always love Coldplay. It was like having a horrible meal with a giant slice of delicious cake in the middle. There's another problem I have with this network. Unfortunately, they've found it necessary to focus a lot of their programming on mindless dating shows and "reality" TV. I'm not going to say anything more about that because if you're at all attuned to what's popular these days, you probably know what I'm talking about. 

One of the fundamental principles from which I operate is "don't complain unless you're willing to do something about it". So in the spirit of that idea, I have a proposal for MTV:

Instead of peppering your programing with mindless reality television, get more involved with what's going on in the world. Instead of following Lauren Conrad around to see what club she's going to pitch a fit in next, perhaps you could follow around the interns in Washington or medical students who are interns at a hospital. There would be plenty of TV drama, I promise you. Also, if you're going to call yourself Music Television, then you might try focusing on music! How about having a concert series? With all of the acts out there in the world, I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be able to fill the roster. 

Come on you guys, you can be better than this. (I hope). 

No comments: