Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Request

It has come to my attention that the first review is in for The Dark Knight, which is set to release on July 18. As I expected, the review was almost completely sterling and gave hope to me since I've been awaiting this film's release since I'd heard of its existence. It has been quite some time since I'd seen the first teaser for The Dark Knight and the moment I'd finished watching it I knew that Heath Ledger's performance was going to be a significant moment in his career. Unfortunately, since January 22 of this year (which happens to be my birthday, by sheer coincidence), people have forgotten about the performance and focused solely on the actor. For a while I was in shock, just like everyone else, but I've since let it go. There is only so much time one can focus on the fact that someone is gone. For me it is more important to see what that person has left behind. Now that this performance is the last of what we'll see from a talented actor, I think we should appreciate it for what it is. I've heard from many people that they'll have a hard time watching The Dark Knight because they'll be thinking things like "Oh, how sad", or "It's so sad he's gone". I can appreciate that some are still mourning his loss and I wouldn't begrudge anyone their time to grieve, but I think focusing on that is doing him a great disservice. Think about what you would want. Think about what any artist would want. If you had given a performance of a lifetime, would you want your own death to overshadow that? Let your mind absorb it as a completely separate thing. Let yourself appreciate it. Hell, enjoy it.Please.



No comments: