Thursday, May 20, 2010

Drink Me


For Christmas this year, I received a gift card from my boyfriend's mother. It was for the movies, which I thought was a very sweet gesture. It just happened to coincide with my desire to see the new Alice in Wonderland film by Tim Burton. I had no idea that I would see the movie three times ($50 well spent), or that it would pop into my head while I was trying to settle my mind as I was laying in bed. Now, I know that the film was based on both books, but I can't stop thinking about the film itself (primarily because I never read the books). After having read so many different pieces of fiction, there is one thing I can ascertain: Growing up is important. I know what you're thinking -"well, no shit"- it's true. And not for the reason you think. But the thing is, I'm still having trouble with the "growing up" part. Childhood is easy. You learn a lot of things from it. For example, childhood provides the foundation for your adult fears. Think about it- were you pushed off of the jungle gym as a child? Are you afraid of heights now? I'm not trying to sound like a motivational speaker or a high-school counsoler here, but one of the most important things anyone can learn is to be brave. This doesn't mean base-jumping if you have a fear of heights. No one should do that. But as I'm entering the true phase of adulthood in my life, I can't help but feel as though I've fallen down the rabbit hole. There are several doors before me, but taking the one I want to has got me intimidated for the same reasons I have all of my other fears. I find myself wondering how I am going to get through it.

No comments: